June 16, 2007

Dude, where's my car?

Living here requires a car. The public transportation system is just not "cool". In the first month, I used a rental car, a poor Chevy Aveo that failed to merge with the highway traffic every time I went on. In that month, I was shopping for used-cars. Craigslist was my most frequently visited site at the time. I never had or bought a car before, so all I wanted was a reliable car that won't fail on me in the next year. I was luck enough to avoid too much hassle in looking at used-cars, because the first car I took a look at to test drive was in good condition, so I bought it.


This is my first car. I used my own money to buy it, without any help from my parents. It's a 1998 Toyota Corolla, in a mechanically great condition. Look at that baby purrr.

And now, after a year of great service, I have to sell it before I leave. I'm so glad it didn't cause me any headaches, like other interns' cars. I originally bought it for $3500, put in $800 of maintenance work throughout the year, and now exactly one year and 7000 miles later, I sold it for $4100. So basically, I spent $200 net (excluding gas of course) on a car for a whole year. What a deal! It was sad to let my baby go. Now I'm stuck at home and need to ask someone a favour every time I want to go out. Not having a car sucks.

Got Comment?